Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Five Year Old Boy...



Tonight, you stood at your bookcase, picking out a book for bedtime. I watched you on your tippy toes and saw how tall you were, how big you seemed. You actually read the "baseball book" tonight, by sounding out letters and looking at the picture for clues. I thought about the last five years with my "baby boy."

You have always been easy...a sweet, quiet, laid-back baby, a low-key toddler. I try to remember you at two and three years old. Shlepping you to all of sissy's "things" early on (preschool, dance, etc). Getting to know life as a mom of a "son." Something that (for some odd reason) never crossed my mind as something I'd ever get to do until I heard the words "it's a boy!" Chubby tan feet, specific trips, summers, Christmas, what you were "into" at those times. Letters, Elmo, Superheroes.

I don't like that I can't remember every detail of the past five years. Because as you stand here, at the base of boyhood, I want to remember every second of it all. But it's in our heart forever. And it's why I meticulously save and organize photos, and this blog, of course.

So tomorrow morning, you wake up a five year old boy. You can't wait to share Leprechan floats with your class, and open gifts with Meema and Boppa at night. On Saturday, your seven best boy friends will come over to celebrate with you at your "Football Party."

Tonight, I hugged you tight and asked you for the last hug I get "from a four-year old Tomma." You are every bit the boy you are today because of how we've lived the last five years. Every hug, every story, every adventure, every day. I am so proud of the big boy you are becoming, and you make me smile every single day.

Happy 5th Birthday, my little Tomma!

1 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Awww, this makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy birthday, Tomma!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger