Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

A "Proud High"....

This sun is setting on this perfect, first day of school, fall 2010. September 7th has been a day, I will admit, I have been secretly dreading since last fall. After the extremely tough transition into Kindergarten for Lucy last year, I was nervous. MORE nervous than I even let on to anyone. Last year was really, really hard on both her and myself, and our family, for that matter.

Throw in nothing less than a seriously magical summer 2010, and it was an understatement to say I was less than thrilled about the whole "back to school" thing.

I stayed positive on the outside (and Lucy did too!) and went to bed last night, hoping for the best and fingers crossed.

Onward and upward to first grade we walked this morning...we held hands and laughed and talked and waved at friends.

We've walked these streets, my little girl and I.
As newborn and new mother, trying to walk off the baby weight - 2004.
As toddler and pregnant mom, spending 45 minutes walking around the block - 2005.
As mother of two under two, bringing them both home after stressful management at the park - 2006.
As mother carrying daughter home into time out for the 5th time that week - 2008.
As a frustrated and sad duo, wondering if she would ever be o.k. at school - 2009.

"What's the most important thing about school, Luce?"
"Tell good jokes?"

What a Rutledge....

"Mom? I think you should work our Halloween party this year! That way, you can dress up like Snow White!"

Sold. Man, she knows me too well.

So this little person, so brave and so "used to her school" (her words for why last year was so hard) just hopped into line, waved and blew me a kiss goodbye.

And breathe.

My heart soared and beamed with pride - I couldn't help but smile at everyone I saw!

Off we headed to good old Children's Workshop Preschool for Tommy. The "big man on campus" felt just as much at home as I do at this school we have been entrenched in for five years.

I reassured a new mom about how great Miss Sherri prepares your child for Kindergarten. I said hello to nervous new moms taking their babies into Miss Gloria's class. I feel old at the school now - like my time has almost past.

As always, I try to never take for granted this time, these moments, how proud I feel. Today was more of the same.

"And time spins madly on...."



1 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Blogger meg said...

Cute! So glad it went well!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger