Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Summertime Continued....

Yes..not an original title to this post. But this summer, I am plowing forward and not thinking too hard about little things that don't really matter. I am trying to let the house get a little dirtier....trying to respond to that work email a little later...trying to put everything I do with the kids first and everything else second....trying to enjoy every bit of every sunny, warm day.

1. Continuing with my self-created summer commitment of "experiencing something new each week," I took the kids to the Children's Museum to see the new Curious George exhibit. We took a friend for Tommy (Ronen, who's been dying to go, but my poor friend has four children and the other three...frankly, didn't want to go).

So off we headed (with Meema!) and as expected, it was a major hit. Such a hit, that after two hours of letting them wander and play, Lucy asked if she could "come back tomorrow morning." It's nice to get outside our box and try something new - it makes me feel like we are taking a bite out of summer.

Selfishly, I also like to do things like this with Lucy...because in 9 short weeks, my girl won't be able to go to the museum with me on a Monday afternoon at 3 p.m. because she will still be at school and I will be missing her and DYING to go pick her up from her day in 1st grade. Ugh...not ready yet.







2. Teeth! Lucy has been losing teeth! Two, actually. The first to go were the two front bottom teeth. The cute little suckers popped out within a week of each other, which kept the newly crowned tooth fairy hopping. It was so fun to watch her excitement...such a childhood right of passage. It also created surreal moment #578 for me when I thought to myself, "I can't believe it's my turn to be the tooth fairy. Didn't I JUST roll over and see a shiny quarter peeking out of my little pale yellow heart shaped pillow?"



3. Lake Huron..ahhhhhh. And that pretty much sums it up. Ha! Another week under our belt at good ole Sid's Resort. After years of taking a break from this place (haven't stayed there since I was 18 years old), it was so good to be back at the place that holds such great childhood memories for my family. Lazy days of beaching it, eating, drinking, laughing until I was crying, and enjoying the company of the people I love the most. As my sister said the day after, "I think Sid's might be a vortex of sorts...time stands still and nothing really compares to it." I think she's right. It's sort of magic in a really simple way and one of the places I feel 100% myself and completely where I am supposed to be each year for one week. Ahhhh....











4. Lastly, the 4th of July has come and gone in a whirlwind of activities. I ran the Trail Blaze Run that morning, then we headed with neighbors over to the local parade. The kids loved it!! It was 90 degrees so the boys headed home while Luce and I headed to the park to check out the "park party" underway. After getting a tattoo and watching a water show, we headed home with our snow cones and chilled out the rest of the day until dinner and fireworks at the Pulley house! The kids had a serious blast, between the slip and slide, water guns, games, sparklers, poppers and small fireworks show that Matt and Kahle put on for everyone. By 10 p.m. the kids watched about 15 minutes of fireworks and asked to go home. Go figure....but what a FAB day!







3 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

wow it already looks like you are making the most of the summer!
good for you- it goes too fast.
I'm going to try and take your lead and let the house get a little bit messier and just enjoy- great idea btw.
oh and awesome photos- what a beautiful (tanned) family!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Thank you, pg! I DO miss getting around to the blogs like I used to. I hope this summer has been well for you guys, too! Been considering a Toronto trip to visit a cousin this spring...which made me think of you! :)

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

if you do visit let me know, it would be fantastic to meet in person.
I could show you a few great running routes!
and lots of other great things too.

happy summer...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger