Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Being a Grown Up....

Maybe it's just me, but still, on a fairly regular basis, I think it's funny that I am a "Grown Up."

It's sometimes funny to me that I am someone's MOM - their whole world. That I am the source for all their security, love, safety, well being. I mean, really? Me?

Wasn't I JUST singing "Annie" in my basement window well? Now I have these little people counting on me to pack their lunch and remember their homework folder?

It doesn't seem that long ago.

I remember specific days of my childhood. I remember the smell of my neighborhood in the spring. I remember being bored and making up things and riding my bike and running to the neighbors. The "grown ups" seemed so old and well, "grown up!"

I had no idea how a check book worked or how much time it takes to clean an entire house.

It's funny to me that last night, there I sat, a 35 year old woman running a meeting about things like finance and policies. That I have a job with a lot of details that I have to keep straight. That I pay a babysitter and I am the person coming home from the meeting.

Wasn't I JUST the kid who was eating the turkey t.v. dinner on a Friday night, grumbling about how I didn't like the sitter?

It doesn't seem that long ago.

Being a "Grown Up" is swell and all....it just doesn't seem like I'm supposed to be doing this yet. But at the same time, I have had this feeling in my gut lately, that ALL those things I have experienced...

Art, singing, sports, practice, family, holidays, teachers, traditions, the good, the bad, church, grade school, high school, college, single life, new friends, old friends, roommates, boyfriends, good times, bad times, moments, memories....

Prepared me to be this "Grown Up" in the world now. So I guess I need to accept that it's what I am and it's exactly where I am supposed to be.

But I may still get caught singing "Annie" every now and then....

3 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

oh my gosh- I feel the exact same way.
I love this post.

oh and it feels like just yesterday I was in the school play- which was "Annie"

as long as we always stay young at heart I guess...

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger meg said...

Daddy's Girl thinks this is special.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Love this . . totally relate. I had one of those moments the first time I toured a babysitter around my house, and again at Annie's first preschool parent open house. Whaaaaaaa??????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger