Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Here I Go...



Well, in four days, I am off and running. It has been quite a year for me. I trained all winter/spring for the Fifth Third Riverbank Run. After bronchitis, mass flooding around the city the week of the race, and a new, uphill course, I survived. I remember thinking that day, as I ran for the finish line - "How in the HELL am I going to run 10.2 miles MORE than I have just run?"

Fast forward five months later and here we sit. In the back of my mind, since I ran my first 10K three summers ago, I thought I might have a marathon in me. It's been on my "Bucket List" since then and I am excited and pumped to make this happen.

I am well trained. I am a resourceful girl, so I recruited friends to join me for 5 miles here, 10 miles there. But for the most part, I have done this alone.

Dark, rainy parking lot meet-ups from friends were greeted with relief many a Saturday morning. A happy distraction and good conversation for the next 45 minutes.

Leaving at 6 a.m. to avoid the heat in August.

Wanting to eat eggs and bacon and sit with my family on the couch but getting out there, clipping on that ridiculous water belt and doing it one. more. time.

Passing on one more beer or glass of wine on a Friday night. Leaving early from places I was having fun.

Hailing that cab to Grant Park on Sunday morning, I know it will all be worth it. In my mind, the true marathon is really arriving at the starting line, with all your training behind you. Arriving with a healthy body is another goal attained. One that I should be ESPECIALLY grateful for, since many of my friends have struggled with injuries and the like.

My ipod is full of new songs, the weather looks cool, and I am writing my name with permanent marker on my long sleeve wicking shirt so random strangers will cheer my name.

I am ready to run 26.2 miles in Chicago on Sunday morning.

Holy crap. Wish me luck!

6 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger kellisor said...

Holy crap! Good luck! I found your blog by accident (by hitting the "next blog" button over and over), but I hope you let us know how the race goes!

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger loveball said...

Good Luck! I'm proud of you!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger meg said...

GOOD LUCK!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Pevarnik Parade said...

good luck immed!! i'm so proud of you.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

GOOD LUCK!!!
you are amazing. (and very very inspiring)

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Good luck Sara! You will ROCK it, I know you will! Can't wait to see a post next week telling us how it was. I hope you get great weather!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger