Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Thursday, June 11, 2009

We Like Us a Theme....

I know I have mentioned before...but I would be remiss if I didn't mention, again, how much the kids enjoy birthday parties. One would think it would be for the ice cream and cake, frolicking with friends, etc. However, you would be mistaken.

They love the THEME. The anticipation begins when the invitation arrives. What is on the invitation? My kids have decided that really sets the tone for the party...

Maybe it's a Ballet theme, perhaps a Superhero theme. Man, I will die if it's Disney Princess themed. Or, wow! I have never seen 5 Little Monkeys as a theme!

I will never forget the party last year that really threw Lucy for a loop. We arrived, fully expecting a Pirate theme. It WAS quite pirate-y, this is for sure. However....get ready....there was a SPONGEBOB CAKE! In the middle of the Pirate theme? The travesty!!!???

More conversation ensued for days about that one...HOW could Ethan CLEARLY have a Pirate theme, and then bust out a SPONGEBOB CAKE in the middle of it? Could he not decide? Do they LET you do THIS? TWO THEMES in one party? Who would have thought of that?

Truth be told....I love a hearty theme myself. We discuss the theme of their birthday parties months in advance and I love every minute of it. Once decided, my heart skips a beat when we arrive in Party City. Oh the creative possibilities.....so they were born with it in their blood.

Some moms dread a theme...I embrace it. I thoroughly enjoy that they embrace it as well.

3 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Megz said...

Count me in as one of the moms who don't love a theme...though I love you and YOUR love for themes enough that it balances out.:)
However, I can embrace a theme for a birthday party pretty easily, and have done so (matching plates, napkins, invites and thank yous--that's a theme in my house) on more than one occasion. But don't expect me to do a child's room up in one. Nothing against it, just not me.
Ok, apparently the THEME of my post is non-existent. Unless rambling counts as one.

Oh, and P.S. I miss you!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger meg said...

I really enjoy a theme and a LOVELY TABLE'SCAPE. Is that a word or did that woman on the Food Network make it up? You do a nice job at a theme. I think it's funny the kids that themes so seriously they are SHOCKED by cross themes. Ps. What's the THEME for the Birthday/Father's Day party up north? CROSS THEME! HOLY CRAP! TAKE COVER!

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Indeed...we shall separate the two celebrations into two days with TWO THEMES! TWO! SEPARATE! THEMES!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger