Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Thursday, May 14, 2009

So, So Proud...


She did it! She really did it! After weeks and weeks of working on the concept of "listening to your inner voice" and "knowing right and wrong" and "not letting yourself be easily influenced by other kids being naughty," today was a shining moment at our house.

A little friend came over briefly this afternoon and tried to manipulate Lucy into doing something "not nice." We'll just leave it at that.
Lucy politely said to the neighbor, "Sorry, I don't do that at my house."

Lucy didn't pause, didn't hesitate in her reaction. She didn't worry what the other kid would think.

HALLELUIA! PRAISE JESUS! I was so proud of her. She didn't know I was listening and she did it all on her own. She didn't "follow the crowd" or do something just to please the little friend. Oh man...it was the best. I am so proud of my girl.

I just want her to be her own person. I want her to have high self esteem and not care what other people think. THIS is a deal breaker as her mother. If I do nothing else, I want her to have strength of character.
Maybe we are making progress with this after all...

I shall now steal a quote from a good buddy's blog...she found something last night that speaks to the very issue I have been struggling with and my experience today...

"You do not have to make your children
into wonderful people.
You only have to remind them
that they are wonderful people.
If you do this consistently
from the day they are born
they will believe it easily.

You cannot force your will
upon other human beings.
You cannot hurry children
along the road to maturity.
And the only step necessary
on their long journey of life,
is the next small one."

5 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger meg said...

Woo! Happy to hear this!!!!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger amanda said...

What a big girl! And what a great Mom!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I absolutely love that quote! How is your doggie? Been thinking about you...

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Aww thank Michelle. :) She is o.k. - we are up to the maximum brain swelling reducer medication at this point (for her to act pretty normal). So at this point, once she starts to go downhill, we can't giver her any more meds and it will most likely be time. For now, she is still spunky, eating (for the most part), drinking, and going outside to use the bathroom! As long as she keeps wagging her tail and seeming happy, we are going to just hang with her and give her lots of treats! :) Thanks for asking.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Such a hard thing to go thru, but it sounds like you're making her comfortable, poor girl. Do yourself a favor and do not rent Marley and Me anytime soon, I was sobbing. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger