Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Big 5 Year Old....



It has been a fabulous week in the life of Lucy. Last weekend, she had a "Girl's Birthday Weekend" in Chicago with all the girls who love her most. Today, Preschool Graduation. Next week, she turns 5 years old.

I can't believe I had you five years ago. I remember nursing your newborn self every night from 7 to 10 p.m. I remember your wad two year old body and how funny you were as a new "big sister." I remember you being 3 years old, and always feeling like you acted so much older than that because your verbal and social skills were insane. I remember the new 4 year old who was suddenly so brave and confident and darting into the classroom, the gym, the new kids, the pool...with no looking back.

And now we enter your 5th year - and I feel it will bring a lot of new adventures. When I told you today was your last day of preschool to gauge your reaction, your face immediately lit up with a smile as you yelled, "Yeeahh!"



You are ready. It made me feel a little sad for .01 seconds that you weren't sad about your teachers and the school you have called home for 3 years (heck, I was a little sad!). But then, I realized this is exactly how I want you to feel.
Ready. Eager. Happy and moving on.

You keep loving life and all it offers. You are confident, happy, funny, very goofy (I sensed a potential "class clown" at today's graduation), emotional and kind (most of the time - ha!).



Your weekend in Chicago was a total blast. It was all about you and you seemed to really appreciate it. Things you loved (for the record) included:
The cab rides, your hotel room, getting to sleep with ME in a King bed, swimming in the pool at the hotel, snuggling with E.E. and Meema at night and staying up late, the Carousel, the "kid chopsticks," and picking out your American Girl (a little boy named Ralph, who looks suspiciously like Tomma). It was a great birthday trip.

This year you are going to go to a new school, try soccer and meet new friends. You will be away from me every weekday morning. You will learn to read. You'll stretch your wings just a little bit further. And mostly, I am excited for all of it.

The nice thing about 5 years old, is that you get to practice being "a big kid," but you still get to ask to be held, hugged, ask for "milky," tucked in at night, listen to songs and stories, laugh at silly things, not be embarrassed of your parents, and still get excited about simple pleasures...like a popsicle.



The other night, I told you I couldn't believe you were about to turn 5 years old. It seems like such a milestone.
"Why?" you asked.
"Well, I just remember when you were first born and I didn't know if I was going to be a good mom and I was so nervous!"
"Well, you are a good mom. You are the greatest mom."
You gave me a hug and I hid the tears welling up in my eyes.
I am so very proud of you, little girl.

6 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger meg said...

PLG - happy birthday little wad!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Now my eyes are welling up... Well done! Every birthday is so bittersweet. Tonight is Dylan's ceremony graduating from kindergarten to first grade. I can't believe it. You're a great mom.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

awe...so sweet.
bitter sweet huh?

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Awww, Luce! Bring on age five!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Meem said...

My dearest little girl:

GUESS WHAT? I LOVE YOU!
NEVER FORGET.....

Happy 5th Birthday, my little chickadee!

My dearest oldest daughter:

I love watching you be a mom. You are simply wonderful!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger amanda said...

I can hardly believe she's almost 5... man it goes fast! Happy #5 Lucy!! Have a great day! Sounds like Chicago was a blast. I was probably right down the street... having my own girls weekend ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger