Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Babble and the Birthday...

Tonight, after a particularly tough behavior day for Lucy, I was putting her to bed. I had to run over to Chicago yesterday for a friend's wedding shower and she obviously knew I had been there the previous day.

(While hugging me) "Mom? You will always be my momma."
"And you will always be my Luce."
(Bug eyes and inches from my face) "But mom? I might live here or I might live in Chicago."
"That's o.k. Luce. I will always be your mom and love you no matter where you live."
"O.k."
(Cut to me walking out of her bedroom with tears streaming down my face...)

Strange conversations with her like this happen every now and then and it really kind of freaks me.
Lucy, if you are reading this and happen to be living in Chicago someday, let this be a note that you were already worried about how I'd deal with it when you were 4 years old. And let this be a reminder (to myself) that I acted supportive and reassuring of her decision at that age and I better act like that down the road.
Because down the road, she won't be able to say to me, "You'll always be my momma" but I hope I can still say to her, "No matter where you live or what you do, I will always be your mom and be here for you."
Geez...being a supportive mom is really tough. Even with a 4 year old, I guess.

Here's the crazy 4 year old now...a few pics from her gleeful birthday party. To say she was happy is an understatement. I was proud I was able to make her little birthday dreams come true...



5 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger meg said...

Very cute - and interesting.

I know the bug eyed 1 inch from your face conversations well. Nothing that deep of course...more like, "E.E.? Why do you wear glasses", or "Why is Molly Nina scared?"...bug eyed and 1 inch from my face. hahaha.

I imagine being a supportive mom will be hard sometimes - especially when you have to be supportive of your kid being an independent, adventurous, person who wants to do crazy stuff and travel the world...just cause you'll miss them and worry. Yet another reason why I'm hoping for a homebody, band nerd.

I pray nightly for a big ass nerd. (haha)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Great pictures... and I'm a little teary-eyed over the Chicago story.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Toots said...

What a cute story. I worry about Gavin all of the time. I am obsessed. I can't stand the thought of him not being around. Lucy is sooooo cute. You are a lucky mom.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Megz said...

Such a sweet story.
I totally get it, of course.

And the bday pics are the best! Lucy was making that very same face, I remember, as we ran around in circles with the parachute.
I think, as you would say, that expression is true "butt-happiness".

Meg--marry a nerd, and your odds will be good.:)

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

ah so sweet...
I try really hard not to imagine Lulu not living in the same city as me.
I know...a strong possibility...but I just can't even go there yet.
well unless perhaps she decides to move to the south of France....then maybe I might have a change of heart.
or not.

Funny thing is that on our street there are at least five families that live a few doors down from their parents/grandparents and stayed in the neighbourhood their entire lives.
It gives me hope.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger