Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Monday, May 19, 2008

Weekend a Go-Go...

The adult members of this family have been on the go this past weekend. Matt is (STILL) off on a fishing trip to Canada with some friends and I was able to escape to Chicago with girlfriends for 36 hours. (On a side note: Husband not coming home on a Sunday night is a huuuuuge bummer. I don't care if he'd been gone a week but there is a big difference in mindset between coming home on a Sunday or a Monday. I am just saying that it seriously blows. Walking into the house after 36 hours of gleeful freedom in Chi-town to singe parenthood, while nursing a large hangover is not my idea of a total party).
With that said, these trips were made possible by one supportive, understanding wife and some AWESOME grandparents that watched the children for me.
We are so lucky to have my parents nearby. I don't really talk much about my parents and all they do for me/us/the children but I should really express my appreciation more! The kids are so bonded to them, they are truly rockstars in their eyes. They will shreik with glee, whenever my mom or dad makes an appearance (or they even catch wind of their car within a one mile radius!) and you would think they haven't seen them in weeks, when it has been one day. They are THE most involved, fun, silly, funny, kind, patient and loving grandparents I have ever known. Every time they are around Lucy and Tommy, I just can't help but think how dang lucky they are to have such cool grandparents who love them so much.
Matt has been traveling quite a bit this year so on the other side of things, I am eternally grateful because there have been days (many, many days) when I would have potentially lost my mind if my parents hadn't been there to help me with a dentist appointment, class trip, meeting, or bedtime adventure.
Chicago was a whirlwind of fun, memories (I can't believe it has now been 10 years since I lived there! I am old!), great shopping (yeah...not allowed to buy anything else the rest of the summer...seriously.), great food (thinly sliced new york strip cooked on a hot rock! Fun!), great martini's (umm...four of them Saturday night?) and great female bonding.
And now the week begins...fully charged and ready to go. And Matt is back tonight...oh thank god.

6 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Meem said...

WOW! Nice shout out for the Meem and Bopp!! THANKS - But it's not difficult to love those little midgets... the fun, silliness, etc. just comes naturally - and the 'luckiness' is mutual! HA!

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger amanda said...

OH fun fun fun!! Sounds like a great time! Although, YIKES on the solo Sunday with a hangover.

Isn't it great to have a set of parents nearby? I don't think I'd survive w/o my in-laws... granted, I don't use them as much as I should. Still, a date night every now and then is fantastical.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger meg said...

I am an anonymous reader...and I was wondering - do your children have any other family members that are special to them? Maybe an Aunt?

Sincerely,
Anonymous Reader

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Megz said...

Here's to awesome parents! Yours are no doubt some the best around.
So glad you gals had a great time in Chicaggy...I missed you all, but felt very near and dear through your texts.:)
I think I94 had quite a few hungover folks traveling home on it Sunday afternoon. I'm just NOW feeling normal again.
Can't wait to see your purchases!

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oh hello Anonymous Reader...Does this reader share a mutual passion with me for Phil Collins, by chance??

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger meg said...

haha...yes, actually! Phil Collins forever!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger