Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Thursday, May 01, 2008

I Clean, Therefore I Am...

I wonder why I am so Type A? Is this part of your genetic make-up? Or is it a personality trait I have created over time?
Not sure...but sometimes it feels exhausting. I am working on loosening up a bit (I really am), but it's not working too well...
Please don't judge me, just keeping it real. I am a little bit nuts and I recognize that - but aren't we all for one reason or another?
I can't have dirty dishes in the sink (I am trying to go to bed with a few in the sink and be o.k. with it).
I must clean up dinner right after we are done eating, even when people are visiting (as a side note, I truly hate this about me and am trying to relax and learn to clean up later).
Wet clothes can't sit in the dryer. Dry clothes must be folded and put away in the same day.
I have to sweep and vacuum every 3 days, at minimum (but this is an annoying dog-related issue because I truly HATE vacuuming down to my core).
I make people take their shoes off when they come in my house (I know...I'm that guy...).
My email inbox is empty (I immediately delete after reading!) unless I have to follow-up at a later time. Like in an hour.
My mail is reviewed almost immediately upon arriving and all unnecessary mail goes in the trash right then and there (ummm, to my defense, some clean-up guy on Oprah said that is the right thing to do to de-clutter your life).
I don't enjoy fingerprints on my stainless steel appliances and wipe them down almost daily.
I don't leave cups/mugs/wrappers/trash in my car.
The list goes on and on and on...and I don't know why.
I analyzed about a year ago, that it could be a few things:
1. It kicked in when we bought our first house in Denver. One would argue I was so overwhelmed by the cost of the home, I felt compelled to keep it looking great and clean because it would have been a shame otherwise. And it never stopped after that...
2. Having kids and realizing I had no control over them and our schedule made me focus more on what I COULD control, like clean dishes. But yeah...I really had been anal and Type A for quite a while before Lucy came along sooo....
3. I have just been a whack-job since Day One. I remember making lists about homework assignments in 6th grade. This is before the invention of day planners! Or at least, day planners for 12-year-olds. I also felt compelled to get all A's from grades 6-8th for reasons unknown. My parents didn't push me about it...I just really wanted to do it.
So yeah...I'm a freak show and I am laying it out there. What can I do? Oh yeah, go dust or something...

6 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger meg said...

I'm with theory #2...it's a control thing all the way.

I've gotten a lot better but I still can't walk out of the house without making my bed!

ps. funny you mention the cleaning up while people are still at the table...cleaning in the middle of a party has become one of my top pet peeves as an adult. And still I have to fight the urge to do it, too! But it drives me nuts!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I know it! I know it! But theory #2 doesn't explain why I was psycho about my house in Denver, pre-children. :)

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Dina said...

Love this post, as I can so relate! I, too, am Type A...although I don't like to admit it. I laughed at your points about email and cleaning up after dinner - I am sooooo that person too! And I feel ya - it sucks and I wish I could just stop and breathe once in a while. Maybe tomorrow... :)

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger amanda said...

haha! It's creepy weird how much we're alike. Right down to wanting to get all A's when most kids could care less. I used to be pretty much exactly how you describe yourself... but I've eased up quite a bit. But seriously, the house being on the market is taking me back to a place I'm not sure I want to be at right now... it's. just. so. exhausting.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

And now . . . I can never let you come to my filthy, disorganized house again . . .

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

You've just described me, seriously. Except I probably vacuum every two days. Insane. I think its totally about the control. If I really dig deep its all I can come up with. Glad to see I'm not the only whack job out there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger