Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Monday, May 05, 2008

The End is Near...

This upcoming Saturday is the 25K race I have been training for since January. It feels good to be at the end of it all and I feel fairly prepared (for the most part). Part of me will feel anxious until I just do it...since it's mostly just fear of the unknown (never done the route before). But I have almost run the length of the race so I am sure, if I just stay hydrated (my biggest challenge), I will do just fine.

I was talking to a girl at the gym this morning and realizing that just last June, I ran my first 10K. That was a huge accomplishment for me.
Now, only one year later, I am doing a 25K. I can't really believe I am ready to go do it. I'm in the best shape of my life, but even still - it's hard not to think about the chubby college kid who couldn't walk the 10 minute walk to class each day. Or even the fact that I only started running for the first time, just 2 years ago, almost to the date of this race (when Tommy was 8 weeks old). 12 minutes straight of running was a HUGE accomplishment at that point.

It's a cheesy old adage but it really is true - you can do anything you set your mind to. So I am excited to accomplish this goal. I don't think I will be running this length of a race again. I don't enjoy anything past 10 miles too much. My thoughts of the Chicago marathon have faded, and I am completely fine with that. Not interested in having that take over my upcoming summer. But I will definately stick with the 10 mile races. I think that is a fun length and I am really increasing my pace for that duration and truly enjoying it.

Running has given me a lot of things these past two years...
A way to de-stress from the daily going-ons with two little children.
A way to grow some great new friendships (Erin and Steph - the best running partners you could ask for in the past two years).
A way to reconnect with myself and my goals, not just the kid's lives.
A timeframe to work out the silly junk in my head wasting space.
A way to lose the baby weight.
A way to let 6-month-old Tommy take his morning nap.
A way to excuse my love for desserts and second-helpings of food.
A way to go back to certain times in my life, listening to my ipod playlist.
A way to get to know the streets of the town I live in and the beautiful lake I am lucky to live by.

So get ready for Saturday morning...pray for sun and about 60 degrees. And I'll keep you posted on the results.

7 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Have a great run Sarah...sounds like you will do great and have prepared well...will send 60 degree weather, no wind,no rain, no humidity and lots of energy vibes your way!!!

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger meg said...

Woo! Congrats! It IS a big accomplishment! I keep telling everyone you're doing it. Way to go! We'll be there cheering you on!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Awwww . . . I shed a small tear. So glad you've become a fellow running addict!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger amanda said...

You're a rockstar! And I'm telling you... celebrate with a little Grand Traverse Pie Co.!! haha!! Have a great weekend - we'll be praying for sun & 60 degree weather for you.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Meem said...

I'm PROUD TA KNOW YA!!!!
Go Sarah! I'm sooooooo
impressed!

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Megz said...

Sarah, you know I love you tons...and I think I shed a small tear as well, as I know how much this accomplishment means to you.

You are seriously an inspiration, girl...and I'm so incredibly happy for you.

Rock out, sista.
Rock out.

Now don't be afraid to come by Saturday night for a cosmo...inlaws are here, but I'm just sayin...don't be afraid.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

Good luck tomorrow!!
you will do great I'm sure.
I'm ispired by you actaully and have started running twice a week and loving it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger