Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Worst One Yet...

...Tantrum, that is. It has been a while since Lucy has had an old-school drop-down, drag-out, horribly, terribly naughty tantrum. She made up for it this afternoon.
After saying "hi!" to her best neighbor buddy, Annie, and realizing she couldn't go inside to watch Cinderella with her, she proceeded to hit me, push me and then spit.
Yeah, I call that the triple-wammy naughtiest of naughty. The trifecta of worst-case scenario behavior, if you will.
So with Tommy happily on his bike, I have to try and get Lucy home for time-out, while sweating and pushing him back as well.
Without giving all the gory details, let's just say it involved 10-15 minutes of so much sweating, drama, screams in the new neighbor's yard (who I have YET to meet and who I am sure is currently emailing Oprah to award me "Mother of the Year") that it ended with Lucy in her room, me covered in sweat and shaking from anger and frustration, and Tommy stressed and crying.
And this is all before noon, people....
Not a great "mom moment" for me at all.

Fast forward one hour later.
Things have calmed down, we have talked through what happened, where things went wrong, what we'll do better, etc.
Me: "Even though we have troubles, Luce, I will always love you forever."
Her reply, "Even though we have troubles, Mom, I will always love you forever, too."

And now I can officially put it behind us and try and all do better next time.
Geez...

6 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger meg said...

sounds like a total party!

plg wrap up.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Megz said...

In the midst of such similar meltdowns (minus the hitting and spitting...mine are less-hormonal and not as old yet), I always feel like I won't be able to participate in the "plg wrap up" (so appropriately titled, by the way, Meg)...because I've just been pushed beyond even my OWN limit.

And then, they calm down...say something sweet, and it's like you want to crawl next to them in bed and hold on tight forever.

Way to go, sista...and if you're worried about 'fendin the neighbors, just come spend a morning or afternoon post-nap on Santa Cruz...and you'll see Springer Mom in full effect.
"Benjamin! Stoppit! Leave him alone! Don'tgointhestreet!!!!!"

Real nice.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Megz said...

P.S.?

Every time I check out your blog now...from now until, like, FOREVER...I'm going to be scrolling down to Darryl and his sweet outfit.
The belt, dammit.
The belt. It ruins me.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Sarah--Meg's sister-in-law here...I loved this post...as the mom of two little girls who at one time (or another, or another!) have exhibted this type of behavior your sentence describing the ordeal,

"Yeah, I call that the triple-wammy naughtiest of naughty. The trifecta of worst-case scenario behavior, if you will."

was so perfect--I loved that you were able to blog about the meltdown wrap-up style and then move on to bigger and brighter things...I must remember this when I'm involved in such an incident
:-) Thank you!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Ann - thanks for your kind words. What you don't hear (since you don't live in my brain), is the constant running over of the events in my head almost obsessively the rest of the day. Ugh...I wish I could really just let things go after I type them...

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Yeah, I love the tantrums. And they're always perfectly timed. Like after a 30 minute wait, half naked, in the OB's office, just as she walks in the door and I'm trying to hold that tiny little sheet over my ginormous bottom half, while picking up raisins off of the floor because someone is "all done" in every sense.

Anyway, it's horribly embarressing and frustrating, but I think just about everyone understands that it's something kids go through. You know, so don't beat yourself up! I know you handled it better than I would have. haha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger