Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Heart-Warming Car Conversation....

Lucy: "Mom? Why is Dad at work?"

Me: "Well, he has to make money for our family."

Lucy: "Why do we need money?"

Me: "So we can pay for our house and food and clothes."

Lucy: "And my college."

Me: "Yep, and your college. You and Tommy will go to college."

Lucy: "And Tommy will be my husband."

Me: "Well, that's nice to say but your brother probably won't be your husband. Maybe you'll meet another boy you like and he'll become your best friend and then he'll be your husband."

Lucy: (Thinking....thinking out the window...) "But Tommy's my best friend so I want him to be my husband."

Me: "I can't argue with that one Luce."

I'd be lying if I didn't admit I sometimes worry that they won't be super tight as adults, seeing as they are separate sexes. My sister and I have a great relationship that is so unique and special to any other relationship I have. I just sometimes feel bummed that neither of them will experience the "same sex sibling" thing.
I literally thought about that on the ultrasound table, when I found out Tommy was a boy.
However, a good friend of mine always reassures me they could still be very close, as she and her brother are the best of friends. I like to hear her stories about them together.
And really, I think it comes down to the personality and people they are, as opposed to whether or not they are a boy or girl.
All I hope is that when something big, exciting, or scary happens to either one of them in life, that they think to call each other first.

3 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Blogger Megz said...

When I found myself with an unprecedented moment of solitude in O'Hare airport last Friday...I reached for my cell and called--you guessed it, my brother.:) We had the best talk and covered all the important things...both saying we felt "whole" again after having caught up again. He actually said the following, after telling me all about a recent girl situation and getting my advice:
"Meg, you're the BEST person to talk to about this stuff...I always love your insight."
Not pattin myself on the back here (I'm just sayin--my advice is pretty fuckin great)...but wanting to illustrate how close we are, and how valuable our opinions are to one another.
Plus, there's none of that girl/competetive crap!
Anyway, I just love the feeling I have after a good talk with my bro...and there's something about having a brother that makes you feel stronger as a female.

Just my two pennies.:)

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Sister said...

That's very cute. I tend to feel the same way about same sex siblings...but I like Meg2's angle too. And there's probably a lot to not having the borrowing clothes fights and all the hormones driving eachother nuts! I think Tommy will be super tollerant of Lucy's what-jobness...where as a sister might have no patience at all.

Or you could just go ahaead and have a set of boy/girl twins...

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Lucy's conversations crack me up... what a sweetie pie.

I have to agree with megz... I am very close with my older brother. And have never wished for that sister relationship... always had it with girl friends. And I didn't get that whole girl competitive stuff until I was married. Seriously, I was completely oblivious to all of that through high school and college. I think growing up with brothers made me very secure/independant... as meg said, a stronger female. Anyway, I understand your worries... especially considering your relationship with your sister.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger