Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Saturday, December 08, 2007

"Fa La La!" and Fear....

I can't believe it is ONLY Saturday night. It is a good thing when the weekend feels long! It's been quite a festive one so far, kicking off with a shin-dig at our place last night. BTW, a great way to host a party is to have everyone bring one appetizer and one bottle of wine = perfect amount of food and fun samples of everything! Not to mention, totally not stressful to host at all. I kind of forgot I was even the host at times, so I would stop and take obnoxious photos such as these...


Check out my bedazzled shirt, yo!

And, after 4 glases of cabernet, did you know it's fun to make fake phone calls and try to look important? Well, it is...


(p.s. Could my jaw BE any larger?)
Moving on...

Today was Lucy's very first dance recital. I had low expectations of the day, so that was a good start. From the following pics, you would think she had a blast and was "Dancer Johnson," right? Sadly and frustratingly, the answer to that question is NO. She is NOT Dancer Johnson. And no willing, bribing or motherly techniques by me would help her with her anxiousness of being on stage, looking out at 300 adults staring at her. If only I had a video camera from this century, I would totally post the video, because it was ridic. Totally absurd. She sat up on stage for all of 5 seconds and then ran off. Then ran back. Just in time to get the candy cane at the end. Of course...
To be honest, I am happy she even went on stage. She didn't want to do it at all.
Anyway, after watching the show, I giggled a little and it didn't seem so annoying in retrospect. At the time, I pretty much wanted to kill her.
I am a person who has been paid for my skills in public speaking! I have been a corporate trainer for a national company! I had a college scholarship for dramatic oral interpretations! I took 8 years of drama class! You need an announcement made in front of 100's of people? Call me. Play the guitar or sing a ditty among strangers? I am your girl. Audition for Second City in Chicago with a fake resume? Done.
But little is it known that in the 6th grade, that very same girl gave her first oral report on the topic of bed wetting (topic chosen for reasons unknown). I will never forget the fear. I was so scared to death, that I actually started CRYING in front of the class mid-way through the report. I was mortified. I couldn't cope with everyone staring. I was frozen with the fear of all eyes on me. It was my personal hell.
Well, what the hell is my point, you ask?
The lesson here is that things shall be overcome. Confidence will grow. Three-year-olds are usually freaked by 300 people staring at them and a white light blazing on their eyeballs. And just because she ran off the stage, doesn't mean she is ruined for life. She just wasn't into it.
She told me tonight that she loves dancing CLASS, just not the "show part." I get it. Too much pressure. And isn't it about "the process," not "the end?"
And come on, she still got her candy cane. So life is good...





6 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger amanda said...

Ok. I think I need a list...
1. Love the party photos... haha! And hello, the hair (yours) is looking great.
2. Lucy is so darn cute in her recital costume fluffy hair thingie.
3. Seriously. If you could hear the ridiculous stories involving me and running off stages sobbing as a child you'd die of laughter... another story - possibly over lunch while I'm home?? I'll email you this week.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger loveball said...

Looking at the second picture of Lucy I think she might be preparing for a future as a rapper. Looking at the third picture of Lucy..I think maybe a Pussycat Doll. (oh seriously, ofcourse not).

You are hilarious in your photos..makes me miss the ridiculousness that is you.

I really do miss you. Who knows when we'll ever find the time to hang out again...

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

So true . . . all of it. I was personally overwhelmed by the chaos that was the auditorium, so I can only imagine it from Lucy's perspective! I'm sort of shocked that many, many more of the girls didn't refuse to perform once they saw their audience. And, even though I'm sure you did want to kill her at the time, it really was funny and precious and unforgettable. Good story someday when she's all grown-up, right?

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

okay first of all...look at you girl!
sassy outfit and looking fab.
fun fun.

secondly O.M.G'd could Lucy be any cuter?
she looks adorable and so pretty in her ballet outfit.
and that fluffy pom-pom thing in her hair is just too sweet.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can tell you what my kids' dance school does, and I've never seen a kid run off stage. They do two weeks of rehearsals, and the second week is on the big stage. They get to be up there with their teacher, explore backstage, see no one in the audience but other moms and dancers and sibs, and it's all very casual. When it comes time for the actual performance, it's just more of the same to them with a few more people. It's pretty amazing, but they really do get on up there. They may not dance (one little girl one year stood next to her identical twin and DID NOT MOVE while twin danced her little behind off), but they aren't afraid. I think that is such an important thing for wee ones to learn.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Sadly, Lucy did have a rehearsal at the auditorium that very week and LOVED the place. They got a tour, practiced the curtain opening on them, etc. She thought it was the best thing on earth...sadly, she was still a freakshow come showtime but what can you do? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger