Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Monday, November 12, 2007

The Independence Shines Through...

This morning was full of a little "sweating." Our crew went to Lucy's dancing class, where I had to entertain/manage/bribe Tommy to hang out and play in the viewing area for 45 minutes. He did great until the last 15 minutes when he only had eyes for the fish in the kid's section of the attached library. We flailed until I thought class was over (10:25 a.m.). Note to bad mother: the class was over at 10:20 a.m. As I walked in and saw parents putting coats on kids, I ran over in a panic. Where was my Luce?
She was sitting in the chair by our stroller. Totally unpanicked. Sitting and smiling at me with her sticker on her leotard. Just kind of waiting for me and crazy Tomma to appear.
"Everything o.k. Lucy? Sorry we were late! Tomma was looking at fish!"
"That's o.k. Mom...I didn't mind."
So brave...it kind of shocked me. I am not sure if she had been sitting there for 30 seconds or 3 minutes, but either way, I was pretty proud of her.
"Were you worried, wondering where we were?"
"Nope!"
And off we went. I can't believe she is almost 3 1/2 years old. And today, she showed it.
Next up...the grocery store. The last couple of times have been awesome because they now both enjoy sitting in the "car carts" they have for kids at our local store. Again...two big kids. Riding around all butt happy and plg. Sometimes I still can't believe I have these two kids.
And final morning activity...basement playtime. I talked them into playing down there for a while, while I put away groceries and premade this for dinner. There I was...calmly chopping away. I could hear them playing together and talking. And this went on for a really long time...maybe 45 minutes without me intervening? I even stopped myself from sticking my head down there at one point because all was well and I didn't want to jinx it.
Just two big kids hanging out playing in their basement. Without my help! Or assistance! Or management! I could chop and peel and act like Giada in peace (did you hear she's preggo?)!
So today I celebrate the fact that, at 3 1/2 years and almost 20 months old...they are bigger and more indepedent and needing me less and less. I know I will be sad about this one day, but today, I am just grateful.

4 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Don't you love those days? When things go well? And the kid/s cooperate? Oh seriously, I totally understand that pride/grateful feeling! haha! And can only imagine how it must feel with two - with them all playing together plg, being cute and stuff.

Some days Jack is so good that I just can't stop telling people what a good boy he was today.

Ok, that dinner looks de-lish... you'll have to give us the verdict - was it easyish, tasty, kids like it??

And yeah! Giada! Prego! Won't she be the cutest prego ever?! Ok, enough of my novel.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Megz said...

As an eye witness last Friday to their cuteness in the grocery "car"...I can say you are one lucky momma!

Congrats on the unexpected moment of wonderfulness...people always say it just keeps getting better, and I never seem to believe it...but it's true, huh?!?

P.S. The dip was a success...our run-in at the Dubber last Friday was serindipitous, for sure.:)
Thanks, buddy!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

OMG! I hadn't heard about Giada, but can you imagine how big her boobs are going to get now???? I have made that frittata before, and I love it.

Your stories give me hope - hope for the day in the future when I'll be able to leave the room for one minute and not come back to find Annie dragging Jemma around by her shirt or something equally unsafe. Lucy! So calm at Twinkle Toes! Tomma! Big enough for the car cart! Revel in the good-ness of today, and store a little piece of it away for the next time all hell breaks loose (poop on the slide, no napping, tantrums, etc.)!

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

good for you!
It must feel so great when that finally happens (especially with two..)
mmm...orzo...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger