Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Free to Be You and Me...

My 3rd grade is a year that is emblazened in my mind forever. There was just something about that year and that class. Mrs. Stratton...I loved that woman as if she was my own grandmother at the time. She was fun, kind and friendly.
It was a wild year, my friends...
My first crush (Joe Abbott...I still love you and dream of you often...)
My first chance to express my Type A-ness (Mrs. Stratton had this "daily tasks" thing she would have us do every morning and I would race to be the first one done, smugly sit at my desk, and play with my pencil until everyone else was done).
There were the spelling bees every week, that I usually won.
I am a damn good speller for some reason. But don't ask me to do a 5th grade level word problem.
Except for that one time when my wart fell off my hand during a spelling bee and I was so sad I voluntarily sat down at my desk (forfeiting my potential win) and started to cry....
I really loved that wart and haven't had one since.
I digress...
Then there was my first chance at creative writing assignments...and that was the best. I remember being really into poems...lots and lots of poems were written while looking out the classroom window, letting my creativity soar and believing Mrs. Stratton would think it was really swell.
And then there were Friday afternoons....when Mrs. Stratton, if we had a little extra time in our day, would get the record player going and we'd all sing and dance to this.
Oh we would dance, my friends...
We would dance...
I don't remember anything about 2nd grade, except that my teacher drew her eyebrows on.
And 4th grade is a virtual blur.
But in 3rd grade, we were all Free to Be You and Me...

7 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger amanda said...

hahaha! I love this post! Too cute. I love all those great old memories from elementary school.

Totally unrelated... another comment for three posts ago... I agree with Meg - Joe's jeans are lovely. My favorite are Citizens though. But really, my only splurge anymore is jeans. And it's so worth it.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Meg & Maria said...

This is so funny to me for a few reasons - the biggest being that I hated Mrs. Stratton and 4 years later when she got our class she was DONE being a teacher and was just interested in being not nice. We went on a class trip to Genessee Valley Mall to visit her Stratton's Ice Cream store and we were apparently such a horrid class of hoodlums that I never made it in the freezer to look at the ice cream. We were too naughty so the class trip was cut short. NOT NICE! Top it all off with her not liking me because I wasn't as cute as Holly Voto and I was real happy when 4th grade rolled around.

I love that you pulled yourself out of the spelling bee because your wart fell off - I bet that really made Joe Abbot want to 'go with you'...haha.

I also love that you prided yourself on your mad poem skills...haha

I also love that you're a good speller and I am the worst. I am convinced there is a connection there.

Good times.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Meg & Maria said...

One more thing...I do have one good memory of Mrs. Stratton's class....I remember standing in a circle holding hands with my class singing 'That's What Friends Are For'...you know, Dionne Warwick and Stevie Wonder etc...

Well, the song touched our 3rd grade hearts so deeply as we PLG'ly stood around singing it that Mike Miller started to cry.

And then I cried because mom was out of town for work and I missed her.

haha.

No joke. This is what I remember.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

hahahaha...I am dying of laughter right now...
Where could mom have BEEN? A Phone-a-friend conference?
hahahahaha....

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Meg & Maria said...

haha - I don't know. Where was she when I went around collecting money for the poor people in 1st grade?! We apparently had a jet setting mother!

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Meem said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! My stomach hurts I'm laughing so much!!

I was at MiAEYC Conferences most likely. ALWAYS went to them. Every March. Were you sobbing in March, PLG Meg???

And I can testify/verify that Mrs. Stratton was a different teacher for Sarah than for Meg. AND that she liked the cutesy girls BEST! HAHAHA!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I can't even fathom what might have prompted such a random post, but I really feel, now, that I have a good understanding of the "Sarah-growing-up-years." PLG. Come see Jason's wart-knee anytime you are missing yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger