Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Two "Firsts" That May Stick...

I'm proud to say we had some "firsts" at our house this past weekend. The first "First"?
We visited a new church! After months of "we really need to get back to church..." "I wish the kids would be good at church..." and "why doesn't our church have a nursery? It's not worth it!" - my neighbor and pal, Stephanie, recommended theirs. This new church has a nursery AND a little Sunday school program for preschoolers! I liked the sounds of that.
So after running, showering, feeding and dressing 3 humans (and Matt as well), we headed out to check out the church at 8:35 a.m.
We were not disappointed. The Sunday school has a wait list, due to a lack of teacher volunteers. But the lead teacher was very nice, took my name (I said I'd be more than happy to volunteer!) and added Lucy to the waiting list. She thinks if she can just get a couple more people to be teacher volunteers, an additional class can open up ASAP. With any luck, she will be in a class by Christmas. And I've been wanting to volunteer, so this would work out great for us all!
Then, we headed off to check out the nursery for Tommy. Such a cute little room with a ton of great toys! The volunteers were very kind and Tommy didn't even look back as I headed out. They even allowed Lucy to join him to "watch over brother." She happily obliged.
Matt and I couldn't believe, after 3 years of sweating, reading books, coloring, feeding snacks and taking turns in the "cry room" or lobby during mass, we were actually standing there, listening and actually getting something out of the mass! Shocking! To say we are sold on this church, is an understatement. Relaxed crowd, nice priest and good music. Cha-ching! A great "first" for us and I look forward to what is to come for all of us.
The second "first"? I did my own, very first "Sunday dinner" for my parents and our fam. Again, my extremely friendly neighbor, Stephanie, has turned me on to Everyday Food. She has been passing them on to me when she is done with them. Great recipes that don't seem overly "frou frou" and therefore, don't intimidate me. You also don't need 5,000 ingredients and $1,000 to do the shopping for any of the dishes. Tonight, I tried cheddar meatloaf, brown sugar glazed carrots and corn bread stuffing. It was a hit!
I have now sent in my subscription to Everyday Food and can't wait to try even more recipes. I could really get into this whole "Sunday dinner" thing. AND - I am dying to make some new dishes. It was getting boring, people...how many things CAN you put in spaghetti sauce? Enough is enough.
So overall it was just a low-key weekend with some Halloween fun and family time. I really don't want October to end!

***This just in! I received a call from the Sunday school teacher last night and they are going to make space for Lucy starting next week! Whoooo! And I get to volunteer for the "Jesus' Birthday Party" class in December. I am so sure...hilarity to come for sure on that one...

4 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The church sounds great--I need to find one like that around here.

I don't cook. But, I'm tired of "easy" meals. I want to eat better. Maybe I should try this Everyday Food thing. :)

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Meg & Maria said...

Were you all sobbing because the most beloved family member was not present?

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Preschool AND a nursery! That's great... Gosh I remember growing up going to mass, and all of the swats to the back of the head for not kneeling properly. Or talking. Or laying on the pew. Seriously though, that's great. I know how tough it is to find the right church.

Ok, so I'm very intrigued by this Everyday Food. I've been winging it lately with some interesting stuff... pumpkin/carrot meatloaf with a molasses & brown sugar glaze. Pretty darn tasty. Got to get the veggies in somehow, right!? haha!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Megz said...

Love the menu items...how was the thai/peanut thing tonight? By any chance were you aware how long it took me to get Benjamin out of your driveway while you started your yummy family dinner? Ridiculous.

Again, so excited for you with the church! A great feeling, I'm sure.

See ya tomorrow!

M:)
p.s. Lucy was so PLG with Benjamin tonight on your front lawn, wish you coulda seen it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger