Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween...Then and Now...

Then...
I remember the feeling of excitement when I would wake up on Halloween day. It would be a loooong day at school. And the, 3:15 p.m. would arrive. It was often a day like today...windy, cloudy and cool. But you could feel the excitement in the air. Back then, I don't feel like there were a lot of Halloween events leading up to the big day, so it was usually the one and only day to wear the beloved costume.
4 p.m. Running around the front yard...counting down to trick or treat. Reviewing the decorations outside. One year, I recall some sort of "ghost/cemetary scene" on one side of our house...creepy and cool all at the same time. Another year, we did spooky music from the upstairs window that would bellow down the street. Soooo creepy but loved it.
For some reason, we always had Taco Bell for dinner. I have no idea why this is, but my sister and I both have distinct memories of eating Taco Bell right before trick or treating. If I wasn't so technically-challenged, I would scan an old photo of me in a sweet gold one-piece jumpsuit - post-school but pre-costume. Mowing on a Taco Bellgrande (does anyone remember these??). Ahh the memories....
And off we would go with family friends around the neighborhood. Once home, we would "organize" our candy (and, of course, make sure everything was safe - remember the razor-blade scares?) into little piles and feel very pleased with ourselves.
Now....
It's been a not-so-great day. As I type this, Lucy is having her 10th meltdown of the day over "Wanting some candy" and "Is it time for trick or treating yet?" It is day #4 of Halloween events and she is on her 3rd costume. Not quite the same perspective as a mother, than as a child. But, it is what it is when you have a 19 month old and 3-year old.
And they both do look darn cute in the costumes. Here's to a great night tonight, hitting a few houses, and some cute pictures tomorrow...
Happy Halloween!

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Meg & Maria said...

Taco Bell dinners forever!!!

I do believe I was the plg who set up the cemetary scene!

We have different Halloween memories though...I was always stricken by it and not so excited! haha

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

too funny (taco bell not the melt downs)
we always had pigs in a blanket a la Pillsbury dough.
fancy huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger