Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Monday, October 08, 2007

Change in the Bank...

One of my favorite bloggers, Secret Agent Josephine, writes an interesting post that struck a cord with me. It's the concept of what our children will and will not remember of their childhood.
I've felt sad about that idea before. After working really hard to make something fun for the kids or having an especially wonderful day with them...or an especially awful day as well, when I wasn't the best mom on earth. What will they remember? Was this or that worth the trouble when they were this small?
I decided my actions are based on this belief: What we are doing every day of their little lives is deposting change into their banks, their hearts. These small deposits will make up the person they will become...the wonderful grown-ups they will be.
So maybe they won't remember that day Dad took her fishing for the first time, that birthday party, or the particular book Boppa read him. What they will remember are concepts...someone was always there for me. I could trust, love, be myself, be relaxed, have fun, be silly, be angry, be frustrated...and it was all good.
And I think they are slowly learning all of those things every day, with every memory made.

5 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger Megz said...

I agree. B and I were listening to Ms. JoAnn read a story today at Bright Beginnings...and at one point he turned around to face me and smiled...and said "Mommy, Ms. JoAnn funny."
Then he turned back to listen to the story, and turned back to me again...saying "Hi Mommy" with the sweetest smile.
Tell me THAT wasn't a deposit into the bank of Mommy and Benjamin!
Anyway, sorry to hijack your post here with my own narrative...but had to share.
You get the connection!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

so true and well said.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger amanda said...

I love this post... and I definitely agree.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Meem said...

So true....look at all the things I did wrong while you were growing up. But, both you and your sister seem to carry the positives with you in your hearts. You remember your childhoods as special and fun and good...as they were for your mom and dad too. We LOVED sharing life with our little girls and, even with our mistakes, you both knew that and blossomed into the wonderful people you are today!
Sorry for the run-on....

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I totally know what you mean - sometimes I get sad when we do something super-fun and I think to myself, She probably isn't even going to remember this! But you're right; somewhere it's building them into who they'll become.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger