Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Monday, September 10, 2007

This Neighborhood O' Mine...

Five years ago, when we moved onto our street, we were childless and naive to the lovely community we were planning to "build roots" upon. We knew the schools were good and the homes were lovely, but we really just wanted a home "with character" and sidewalks for our future kids to ride bikes and go trick or treating.
We got all those things and so much more. Over time...we had our two children, new families moved onto the street, children our kid's ages moved in, etc.
And then this past winter thawed out and from out of their homes came lots of fun, friendly, interesting, people! The kind of neighbors you can only hope for and wish you can grow up knowing.
This summer has just been a blast and every time we step outside, you never know what may happen. Impromtu wagon rides, bike or scooter parades, bug or dirt analyzing, lunch with blankets in the front yard, tailgates, wine deck dates. Meaningful chats and laughs with other neighbors who are becoming great friends and people I can count on in a crunch (like when your husband starts spontantously bleeding out of a leg, for example).
This past weekend was really nice hanging around the neighborhood. I recognize that we are very lucky to have found this. More than one neighbor has said to me in the past couple of weeks, "This street is a gem! We are never moving!"
I feel the very same way.

4 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Megz said...

That is exactly how my neighbor Andy and I feel about our street...sigh.
LOL! So ridiculous.
But yes--Orchard Avenue rocks! I'm just grateful for our proximity...:)

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to find that special street!! Hopefully soon.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Awwwww. Ditto to everything YOU said. Seriously, Jason and I were just talking about this yesterday and wondering if it's all too good to be true? Because it seems like it's just about perfect. So glad. So lucky. =)

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Sister said...

Oh the parades of East Grand Rapids! just kidding. Glad you love your street!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger