Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Life is Beautiful...

That movie is one of the best I have ever seen. I saw it when it first came out, before I had kids or had even begun to think about having kids. There is a scene that pulled at my heartstrings so much, I have never forgotten it. It was a moment that really helped me understand, even as a person without kids, the love that a parent can have for a child.
In the midst of the horrors of the concentration camp, Guido (the Dad) protects his son by pretending that survival in the camp is an elaborate game with which his son must play along or be sent home. Giudo goes so far as to play "pretend soldier" by walking a goofy walk, while the Natzi leads him by gun to another area of the camp. The son is peeking at his Dad and laughing, oblivious to what is really going on.
There was something about this scene that always stuck with me. The sheer determination to protect his son from the scariest moment of his life. The ability to look outside of yourself, when in agonizing terror, and just completely focus on keeping your child safe.
There have been times when I think back to that scene now that I am a mom. I have had my share of moments where I have had to "keep it together" for the kids in a time of terrible worry or fear. That moment, to me, is a true example of selfless love for your children. I wish all parents were able to do this (sadly, we all know, that isn't true). And sure, it was just a movie, but for some reason I have never forgotten it.
And if you haven't seen that movie, I highly recommend it.

5 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Sister said...

That is a totally plg scene. :( I know what you mean though.

I know you think it'll be too sad but you've gotta rent Pursuit of Happiness.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Love this post. I've never seen... and now I really want to.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger loveball said...

If you want to see another movie that will TRULY break your heart but is such a good foreign film..rent Ponette. It's so good Sarah, but sooo sad. The little girl who plays Ponette is phenomenal. And there's a little boy in it who you will fall in love with.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

You know what else is beautiful?

Your neighbor Shawn.

-the mysterious anymous looker posts.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Megz said...

Uggh...I totally remember this scene, and when I saw the movie it was long before kids, much less Brian. But now, thinking about that scene and inserting either Benjamin or Jonathan into that scenario...makes me teary just thinking about it.
So true, my friend.
And I agree with your sister...you MUST rent Pursuit of Happyness. And yes, it's spelled that way.:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger