Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Moments...

Yesterday was a challenging one for me with Lucy. I feel semi-guilty saying that, since I had a sitter for 4 hours of the day. However, from 2 p.m. through the rest of the day (minus one glorious walk together), she pretty much was driving me crazy. The whining has begun....ooohhhh the whining. It's like nails on a chalkboard. It is hard to ignore but I am finding it is the most effective technique. That and a lot of deep breathing on my part.
The other constant challenge I have is that on some days, she just can't cope with her life after 5 p.m. She needs a little nap each day from about 3-4 p.m. but refuses to take it. Some days she is great until 7:30 p.m. Other days, you can almost see her poor little brain shutting down and she emotionally cannot cope with anything (i.e. her hairtie fell out, she has to go potty, she turned left too fast).
But despite the tough days, there have been some great moments together, as well.
The other morning I was cleaning the bathroom and she really wanted to help me. It would have been easier to just hurry up and clean, but I let her have her own "wipey" and I would spray areas she could work on with me. At the end I told her, "thanks for helping me!" and she replied, "We did it together, Mom!" and then hugged my leg so tight for 60 seconds in pure joy. O.k...totally worth it. Who knew she would love helping me clean so much? I can't wait to tell her that story at age 14 when she won't make her bed...
Then, the other night at dinner, we were just sitting at the dining room table and she looked at me out of the blue and said, "You know what, Mom? I love you!"
Greatest moment #563.

2 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Blogger Megz said...

Oh, how I feel your pain, sista. The whine is more like a whine/moan with Benjamin, and it's pretty consistent...whenever he senses things might not be totally right with the universe. Not getting a car at the gift shop at the Children's Museum (holy motha of god...dude...rough times), being tired, or like you said--not ready to take the left turn down the street. I find the ignoring works well, also...but mutha effa, it's hard to endure when you're with them 24/7, isn't it? (Can you tell I've been a single mom this week or what???)
Love the "I love you mom!" comment at the dining table. What a precious moment...so great you're recording it on here!
Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow.:)
"Oh, and by the way...my child whines more than yours, so...yeah, mine does it more, I'm just saying...he invented whining is all, so your pain is less."
Ridic!!!

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morgan's only 19 months old and I have days where I can't take the constant crying or whining or needing to be stuffed up my arse.

But? It's those greatest moments that make it all worth it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger