Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Thursday, August 23, 2007

First Time Moms at the Library....

Do you know what's been annoying me lately? First time moms at the library. I can say this...because I used to be one (sort of - minus the unfriendly part)! If any of you frequent your local library "Storytimes," you know what I am talking about. These moms are:
1. Showered.
2. Dressed perfectly.
3. Their one child is dressed perfectly.
4. Both sit on the floor and stare at you - no smiles.
5. The child doesn't act up or leave the parent's lap.
6. They sit quietly through the songs and stories.
7. Continue to stare and not smile at you while your older child asks questions during songs and your younger child runs around the room.
8. Refuse to smile when you crack one liners about how "there's a lot of sweating going on" and "obviously they are riveted by today's book."
9. Look at you with sweet relief when you decide to call it good and leave the "Storytime" room.
So yeah....I remember those days...and all I've gots to say is:
"Give it another 2 years, sister....oh you'll be sweating!! SWEATING, I SAY!"
Kidding...but not so much...

5 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Megz said...

I think "she" was at Storytime with us on Monday, no?
LOL
If not, then one of her "kind".

Oh, and dude--there were at least FOUR of these uncivilized species at yesterday's Laptime.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Goodnight Mrs. Kalabash said...

These particular types drive me NUTS! And, just for the record, they really don't give ya the time of day - other than the stare - if you're the grandmother!!! Obviously, your ancient self isn't even supposed to be attending Story Hour and messing up the lovely routine!! HA! Bitter flashback!! HA!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

We are regulars at the Wednesday storytime, and between Jemma trying to scale people's arms and Annie banging into them during the singing of "the fish song," we are probably much-loathed by this population. Don't care. (And you shouldn't, either. Their day will come . . .)

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So um, yeah....okay then :)

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Sister said...

People often think I'm in a bad mood when I'm actually quite chipper! The expression on my face often doesn't match what's in my head at all. My point: I think 'these kind of people' are most likely more worried about themselves than what's happening around them. I bet they're less harsh in their thoughts of others than it seems. Of course, I have no kids and have never experienced these people! But it's just another way to look at it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger