Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Monday, July 23, 2007

I Was Getting More Sleep Last Summer....

...which is ABSURD, because Tommy was only 4 months old! Sadly, it's a true statement. "Da Luce" has thrown us all for a loop with some sleeping/not sleeping activity totally out of sorts for her.
Just to remind you, I must say that Lucy has always been my sleeper! Until one month ago, I could literally count on ONE HAND how many times I had been woken up in the night by her in 3 years! She's been sleeping 12-13 hour nights since she was 10 weeks old! While being 100% breastfed! A freak of nature, one might say! Ridiculously good sleeper....
It started out low-key...a few push backs at bedtime with Dad about a month ago. Suddenly she needed one last special doll in bed with her or a glass of water. Over a couple of weeks, we realized these "small requests" were becoming 30 minute+ sessions. We were getting duped...by a three-year-old....and things needed to change.
So we got hard-core. We would warn her when she would start up her silly last minute demands, and then walk out of her room. She would scream and yell and pound on the door. I am talking some serious Class A temper tantrums. Finally she would crash.
Then, the 5-year-old down the street showed her how to open her safety door knob from inside her room. Umm yeah....so then she started coming downstairs to tell us, "She doesn't want/know how/need to go to sleep."
So then we installed a "hook and eye" feature on her door for when she threw her fits. Ridiculous...
O.k. so we think we've got this bedtime thing down for a couple of days. What does she do?
WAKES UP AT 5:30 AM AND STARTS YELLING FOR ME! And never goes back to sleep once awakened. Never. For the love of god....
Bear in mind, Tommy is ROCK STAR sleeping through all these charades and I am scared to death she is going to wake him...uuuuuggghhhh.....
Throw in a sprinkling of 1 a.m. wake-ups from her (that I will spare you the details on)...and yeah...this past month has been interesting.
We geared up last night before bedtime began. While snuggling with us on the couch, we went through what was going to happen. Matt told her if she did great, with no troubles, that there would be a surprise waiting for her this morning. She seemed to buy it. And went to sleep without a peep. Of course, it could have been the exhaustion finally kicking in...but I have no complaints! As I type this, it is 7:52 a.m. and she is STILL sleeping. Not ONE wake-up.
I will keep telling myself this is all a fluke...and pray for more nights like last night!!!

2 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger amanda said...

OHMYGOODNESS!! That is craziness. We've been warned eleventy billion times about how one day our "perfect little angel sleeper" will (before you know it) abandon his "angel" qualities for requests for one more this and that. Not looking forward to those stages... at all. Congrats on the great night last night... maybe you're on to something!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Bridget said...

Well, it must be something about being 3 because we've got a similar situation here. Síofra used to be a super sleeper but getting her to sleep has been hell for the past month. What the *%$£@! And she HAS woken up Paddy, which ups the stress level by about a million. I have no answers...but I'm glad to hear we're not the only ones. Sleep tight tonight!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger