Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Seen but not Heard...

Sometimes I get the feeling that most kids really aren't "heard." It was very apparent to me over this past weekend at a couple events. It pulls at my heartstrings. I notice this stuff and wish there was something I could do about it. What to do...what to do...is there something within it that could be my "next phase" in life? I was brainstorming how/what on my run this morning. Still pondering...

We went to a festival downtown on Saturday morning. A little girl walked up in front of us where we were sitting. She walked up to the fountain in front of us with a smile and called her mom over. The mom yelled at her from across the way (for some reason I can't recall) and looked like she hadn't smiled in about 12 years. I just felt like the little girl was sweet and innocent and happy about something so simple and her moment was ruined by her crabby mom. Probably more moments are lost and she will end up just as crabby as her mom one day. Maybe not...I really hope not...but it's just a hunch. It made me feel sad for her.

Lucy and I were at the grocery store Saturday afternoon and having a great time together. I was lucky enough to have some one on one time with her this weekend and it was great for both of us. Lots of giggling and special time. As we were checking out at the register, she proceeded to belt out "Mary Had a Little Lamb" out of the blue. I was waiting for the lady checking us out to look up and acknowledge this kid singing her heart out. She never did. When Lucy was done, I said, "Great song Luce! I loved it!" and she smiled with pride. It seemed odd to me that the lady didn't even blink at it...but I guess that's the norm. Most kids aren't told "good job" all the time and that "you're proud of them" very often. It means everything and I fear it is overlooked in a lot of households. I know you can't pay attention to every single thing your kid does...but belting out a song in the grocery store definately deserves a "good job!"

Yesterday we were at a family cookout, and some "2nd cousin by marriage" relatives were there. There was a 9-year-old girl who was very nice to Lucy and her cousin and played "puppy" with them all night. I talked to the girl and asked her questions. She really liked me...I could tell she loved the attention...and really needed the attention. At one point, she asked me "Are we related?" with a hopeful smile that we'd see each other again. I felt bad telling her that "no, we weren't related." As we were getting ready to leave the event, I overheard her asking her mom if she could go home with us. It broke my heart. But when it came down to it, I was the one who gave the girl an ice cream cone, and told her good job on her bike, and thanked her for playing so well with the little girls, and asked her if school was out yet. Her mom never made an appearance the entire night except to walk outside one time to complain to her about something.

Kids need to be noticed and heard and made to feel good. That's when self-esteem is built to last a lifetime. There's no going back and once you screw up, you screw up.

2 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Sister said...

Plg kids

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Brown Eyed Girl said...

Kids are so sensitive.

Too often we say "they are tougher than we give them credit for." when really..they are still little creatures that need us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger