Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Little More Than The Average...

I read a great line on another blog tonight that stuck with me. And I think it describes my parenting style...

"I am consistently striving to do at least a little more than the average."

That really sums it up. We go places, we do things, we see things, we try things, we experience things. Sometimes it's a hassle to make it happen. Sometimes I do a lot of sweating. Matt sometimes askes me, "Why do you put all that pressure on yourself?" But it's for a reason.

We act silly. We laugh at jokes only the three of us know about. I have taught them about humor and goofiness and stories with character voices and silly dancing.

I try to always talk to them, teach them and listen to them. I do the best I can.

And on a night like tonight, when I wanted to kill Lucy (and beat myself up for getting so frustrated) for screaming in her room because she wanted a glass of water (her 4th request for something) before I leave her, I try and tell myself I am only human. All I can do is the best I can do and remind myself that it is still a pretty damn good job.

6 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Blogger Brown Eyed Girl said...

Sorry I've been MIA.

Jeff often asks me..."Why do you put so much pressure on yourself?
Why stress yourself out?"

Because I strive to be better.

Even if that means..YES..I heard your boss say "No we don't have to bring anything to the party." You can't go to a party with your boss at his HOUSE...empty handed...so I stress for 2 days about what to bring...shoot me.

I strive to do things for other people that I'd want done for me...sometimes I'm let down when they don't do it...but I can't control them.

I can only control me.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Goodnight Mrs. Kalabash said...

You are simply an astoundingly wonderful mother.... and even at your "worst moments" of frustration - you set limits while still sending the message, "I love you the most!!"
Simply wonderful. Never doubt it.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Sister said...

No joke dude, you're doing a great job! And for as much as we fought growing up, and lord knows there was a lot of yelling going on, we don't remember any of that and we both feel we had a butt great, butt happy childhood! And we did! And I know even if you didn't do all these activities, and yell at them when you lose your patience, Lucy and Tomma will no doubt feel the same way.

ps. I think not losing your patience is abnormal. I think it comes with the territory!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Just to clarify since I realize the post was confusing...Lucy was the one doing the screaming, not me. But I DID talk to her in a very NOT NICE way and pull her back to her bed and I felt guilty about that.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything I'd say has already been said. You ARE a great Mom...even when you don't think so, you are the best Mom your children could have :)

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Goodnight Mrs. Kalabash said...

....oh, I KNEW who the yeller was! My Lucy! No surprise there! HA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger