Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Thursday, May 10, 2007

She is SO never getting a BRATZ doll....

As Lucy's third birthday nears closer (only 3 weeks away!) I am noticing she is getting more observant. In a bad way. And I don't enjoy it. I am trying to take it in stride and call it developmental and realize that a comment that gives me a heart attack really means nothing to her. Because it doesn't. She's just testing the waters and watching my reaction and paying more attention to people.
However, she has likened to telling me she doesn't like me "in your exercise clothes." So much so she started crying this morning when I got her out of bed. I said, "That is absurd! I am beautiful today and you are beautiful in your jammies! Now let's go downstairs." She cried for another minute and came down.
Last week she asked me to "put makeup on, Mom." I tell her, "You don't wear makeup and you are beautful and so am I!"
She tells me she likes certain teachers in her class because they are "pretty" or "have long hair." A teacher she loved the first 6 months of preschool she now calls "a boy" because she has short hair. Yeah...I know...totally annoying.
Once again, trying not to get my panties in a bundle over it. I mean, I didn't raise such a girl with those values for god's sake! Anyway...so that's her latest and it aint pretty but it's bugging me so I am sharing. Advice from an experienced and friendly blogger is welcome!

8 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Ok, so I have not one bit of advice... but I must say, Bravo!! thus far. I'm loving the way you are handling these comments, really. I probably would be all wounded and sulk, feeling sorry for myself because my kid didn't like my Adidas shorts and tank top... for the third day in a row. haha!! Thank the dear Lord in heaven I have a boy.

Ok, sorry for the ridic (yours) tangent! haha!! Seriously, you're really handling this well.

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Bridget said...

We have the exact same thing in our house!! Again, we are baffled at where it has come from. Siofra is now refusing to wear anything except skirts that come above the knee. If it's a longer skirt (and pants are out of the question) she throws a fit and screams, "I CAN'T SEE MY KNEES!" Three year olds are even more unpredictable than 2 year olds! Ban the Bratz!

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no advice. My daughter's only 16 months old so, I think I have some time before things like this happen. You ARE handling it really well...I love your comments to her.

You rock as a mom...this'll blow over.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Sister said...

All I can say is thank goodness I have long hair. haha. Just kidding. Maybe it's the 'Princess Factor'...they all are dressed in GOWNS on a daily basis and she worships them - so maybe she's just trying to figure out why we all don't wear gowns. I don't know. haha.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Toots said...

Ok here is my advice, even though I have never been in this situation. I would put my hair in a pony tail right on my forehead, then smear make-up all over (in a really bad way) and then hike my shorts way up. She will freak out but maybe she will appreciate who you are. That is what i would do any time she complained. I am a mean mom, but I want my kids to appreciate everything. I am a little obsessed with it. Santa Clause doesn't come to our house unless we volunteer. Good luck!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Sister said...

Or maybe now would be a good time to submerse her in the culture you mentioned wanting to do. To shake it up a bit and get out of the land of the pretty white people? Just an idea. I like Toot's idea too! She would think it was funny!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Brown Eyed Girl said...

I don't have any real advice except to keep hitting home that EVERYONE is beautiful for their own reasons.

I wish I knew where it came from too...

My biggest worries when Kyle was reacting this way was...whether or not he'd be teased because I was a "fat Mom".

Good Luck and if you get any good advice that works..please pass it on.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I love all the thoughts and advice...thank you so much! And actually, guess what happened this morning? She told me she LOVED my exercise shorts because they were PINK! O.k....it's a step in the right direction..ha ha...
Glad to hear it's happening in other homes around this age.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger