Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Bless My 6th Grade Heart....

Last night, my Mom and Dad delivered my box of grade school/high school/college stuff. Inside were some real treasures, to say the least. Art projects from 3rd grade, a few stories I wrote, pictures of becoming a girl scout, playing basketball, sorority formals, old boyfriends, school dance photos, awards, certificates, diplomas, etc. But perhaps the greatest treasure of all was the diary I found from 6th grade. Here are just a few excerpts....

"I love Bryan!!!! I think he might like me. It's iffy. He did ask me to dance at Gina's house but I'm not sure he likes me or he just felt sorry for me..."
(Let's bear in mind I am 5'9". In 6th grade, I was at least 5' 6". NO boys would dance with me. I chose to have a crush on the shortest kid in my class: Bryan Roach. Go figure).

"Oh my gosh...I got my period yesterday! My mom got me a pin from an antique store as a present. I am shocked! No cramps or anything! It's no big deal though..."
(Right...totally not obsessed at all...)

And a classic from 1985...
"I really like Sydney. I hope he likes me. All I know is I am going to look pretty SHARP in my new jean jacket and Swatch watch!"

7 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Sister said...

That last one is SO plg and hilarious! We need to bring back the adjective 'sharp'! I'll start...."I don't look very sharp today..."

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Sister said...

Also - what's up with Mom getting you a pin as a period present!? I didn't get squat! Hilarious!

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swatch watch....God, the days when accessorizing was so easy :)

A pin for getting your period? Lucky girl. I got a box of pads!!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger amanda said...

SHARP!!!! hahahahaha! Jean jacket and swatch watch! I can picture mine right now! haha! I bedazzled the jacket! haha! Can you tell I'm enjoying this?!

Ok, so I have to say... and I'm totally being serious now... that was cool that your mom got you a pin. My mom made my favorite dinner. And seriuosly, I still smile thinking about it... I didn't know "becoming a woman" was something anybody'd give a rip about. So remember this stuff for Lucy:)

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Yeah, like "Anybody'd" is a word. Seriously need to start looking these things over... I just realized I spelled seriously wrong. Geez.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

That is so funny!! Jean Jacket and swatch watch..god those were such a big deal when we were growing up!! hahah I have a Shoe box that i have kept through the years with all sorts of letters and notes in it..it is quite hilarious to sit down and read through them!!

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Bridget said...

Thanks for the Judy Blume flashback!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger