Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Thoughts on a Perfect Morning Run...

This morning was a perfect "feeling springy" morning around here. Those of you in the South will laugh, but it was 40 before 9 a.m. and for Michigan, that is straight up BALMY on March 10th! So I headed out for a much anticipated run around the lake. I say this, because with my treadmill in the garage because of the basement, and the weather having been so crappy lately, my old pal Billy Blanks (Taebo dude) was REALLY getting old and it's just not the same. So my iPod was jamming and I was feeling great.
I was laughing to myself thinking, "Since when does a 5 mile run sound so luxurious to you?" My how things have changed since a year ago...when I was one week from giving birth, walking around dialated to 4 centimeters and 80% effaced, bracing myself for labor at any moment. Oh, and also weighing about 38 pounds more than I am now. And had never really run more than 2 miles in a row EVER.
It felt very freeing today to have worked myself up to running the entire lake, hills and all, and not feeling like it was too tough. MAN does that iPod inspire you to go faster and it really does make time fly. What a genius invention (by the way, I am taking recommendations on good workout playlist songs, please)!
I heard songs that reminded me of my crazy single days in Chicago and then of my "dual income, no kids, carefree" time in Denver. Isn't it funny how a song can take you to a certain time in your life and you can almost "feel" that space and time immediately? It was fun to hear songs that reminded me of those times without kids. I could almost pretend I was that person again, just running and running, free from any responsibility.
And then, I looked at my watch and realized I was almost home. And a part of me got a wave of excitement in my stomach, because I hadn't seen Lucy yet and I couldn't wait to say "Good morning!" to her and give her a hug. When I get home from places, her usual routine is to come running to me smiling and yelling, "Mommy! You're home! You're home!" and it's pretty much the greatest welcome you can get.
I think that maybe what I was feeling this morning was gratitude. Or maybe just the endorphins running through me or the sun getting to me since I haven't seen it in ages. Regardless, it felt like the perfect morning run and I am DARN EXCITED for spring!

4 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome. On the running 5 miles, on the songs taking you back and on Lucy's greeting when you return.

As for the temp being balmy? I SO agree!! It's 41 in NY right now (10:20 am) and feels great!!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger amanda said...

You are a freeking rockstar! Don't you love that runner"s high... ok, so I only get the eliptical high and not the runner's high just yet! haha! I get super-fired up with the spring weather too. So refreshing to breath air that doesn't hurt.

I always love the welcome I get when coming home... even if it's only been an hour.

Oh, and playlist suggestion... Fat Bottom Girls by Queen! Not that your bottom is fat! I just love that song... and Queen is just so darn fabulous.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Brown Eyed Girl said...

I would love to run 2 miles much less 5. GOOD for you!

I didn't realize you were in Michigan. I'll have to go back and scour the posts!

I like really upbeat stuff too when I work out.

I love Simply Irrestible by Robert Palmer, Black Betty by Ram Jam,
This is How a Heart Breaks by Rob Thomas..I can think of a few more just haven't had my coffee yet.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

sounds like a perfect morning.
I'm inspired to start running again.
I managed to do a yoga class on Saturday (first in ages) and had that same feeling when coming home to Lulu.
Nothing like getting that big hug and hearing "miss you mommy" when you get home.

will check my ipod and get back to you re: good work out/running music.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger