Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Friday, February 16, 2007

If I Teach her Nothing Else...

I am a huge bargain shopper. I learned it from my mother. I remember going to the local mall, heading into The Limited (remember when that was THE store?), and being furious at her that she wouldn't even LOOK at the clothes in the front of the store. She'd head right for the sales in the back. I would roll my eyes and be all, "Mom! Can we just pretend to look at this stuff for a minute?!" Now, I never spend ANY time in the front of stores. I am all, "Give it two weeks...it will be on sale" and head to the back myself.
I shop at Walmart. And Kmart. And consignment shops. I am not embarrased to buy clothes at these stores. I remember visiting my girlfriend in Chicago, just a little while after leaving there and moving to Denver. We used to go to Michigan Ave. almost every Saturday and buy clothes. Then I moved to Denver and "style" just wasn't as important. I mean, I worked up a mountain in a very casual office where I literally wore overalls to work on Fridays. Hey...it was 1998, cut me a break. I would email my stylish Chicago friends that I was wearing overalls and they would die laughing at me. Oh well, I liked it - no pressure for style! On this particular visit I was wearing denim capris and as we walked through Lincoln Park, she mentioned she really enjoyed them. I made her guess where I got them. "Old Navy?" Nope..."Target?" Getting closer..."I give up!" WALMART!
I was wearing Walmart capris and was beaming with pride because she liked them! I am just saying it is great to get a deal.
I went to Kmart earlier this week and bought Lucy some tights. It is a great place for cute girlie tights. By the way, you can't get a pair of tights ANYWHERE these days for less than $15. It is really obnoxious. I found these at the bargain price of $4.99. They are these cute white tights with pink and silver hearts running up and down the legs and Lucy thinks she is pretty cool in them. As I put them on her this morning, I said, "Look! Your new tights!" and she looked up and said with a smile, "Kmart!"
I have passed it on to a third generation. I am so proud.

6 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

hahahahaha...

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I'm not the only one that refuses to pay insane money for clothes. I hit the sale racks at Target, once in a great while I'll go to Wal-Mart. I get the majority of my clothes off eBay. Expensive clothes for MUCH less. Many times, they're new with tags.

I love that Lucy said "Kmart" about her tights. Smart girl...good work, Mom :)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Too funny! I feel the same way. There was a time when I wouldn't be caught dead in clothes from Walmart or Kmart...but then I grew up and realized the value of a dollar..and your hard earned money...They do have nice stuff there....and if you can save money while buying more clothes...who is to argue with that??

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger loveball said...

Consignment shops in East GR are like Barney's...I'm just sayin! And dude, Walmart is an evil corporation - cheap, yes, - but evil. And I am a hardcore bargain shopper,too. Never pay full price. Try Macy's clearance section!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger amanda said...

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one... don't get me wrong. I like a splurge here and there, but there's nothing better than someone telling me how cute my kid's outfit is when he's wearing his babyGap outfit entirely from Once Upon a Child that I got for a quarter of the price!!! Woo Hoo! I love that place! And I'm definitely checking out Kmart for some tights for my neice... birthday coming up!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Goodnight Mrs. Kalabash said...

I'm just sayin': "Mother Knows Best!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger