Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Saturday, January 27, 2007

It's a Personal Decision...

A lot of thoughts running through my mind the past couple of days. There have been some hot topics in the news over the past week. Oprah ran a show the other day about stay at home moms vs. working moms. This is an age old debate that can fuel a lot of fire, but I wanted to share my thoughts on this for my kids. So, here are my thoughts, kids...
I love being a stay at home mom. I mean, it truly is the hardest job I have ever done, but I really, really love it. I knew as soon as I had Lucy that it was what I wanted to do. I went back to work after she was born to give it a fair try and see how I felt. It became painfully clear about two weeks into it, that it wasn't going to be MY choice. I have never regretted it for one moment. I knew and felt it in my heart and gut that it was what I was supposed to do. Not forever, by any means, but for this short amount of time, while the kids are small. We struggle financially, but overall I feel we are very lucky that we are able to do this.
I do not judge those who work - I understand their choice and their reasons. Many don't have choices, due to finances. Some like the balance of a work and home combo. I get it and appreciate it.
O.k. so I'll admit, I have been offended a couple of times by people who haven't meant it. I don't like when people say they need to go back to work to get rid of "baby brain." I take that as "you aren't using your brain efficiently when you are home caring for kids." I think if you are doing it RIGHT (to me this means creatively - with energy and fun and attentiveness to your kids), you are using your brain. In fact, all of my BEST skills as a human being are being utilized every day as a mom (creativity, art, music, playing, negotiation, etc.), as opposed to a marketing director in a cubicle. But that's just me. I will use those marketing skills again. In fact, I look forward to it. I actually liked working. Just not right now.
For us, we look at this time as a blip on the radar of a long life. A short amount of time and a financial sacrifice that we are willing to make. Through the chaos of the every day, there are "kodak moments" happening all day long with these two kiddos and I am lucky to be a part of it.
One thing I know is this: It is a COMPLETELY personal decision that only that family can decide for themselves. What might be right for one family is not right for another and I respect that. Everyone should respect that. So there you have it, for the record. Sorry if I have offended, but that's my perspective.

1 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger amanda said...

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see that episode... I keep hearing about it too. I agree with you totally and wish that women could be a little more supportive with one another and realize that it is just that - a personal decision. Why the judgement? And why does there always have to be this negative competition?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger