Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Friday, December 08, 2006

If It's Not One Thing...It's Another!

Well, I can't imagine using the phrase "resting on my laurels," as a stay at home mother of 2 very small kids. However, as this week has thoroughly kicked my ass, apparently that is what I have been doing for the past 5-6 months. Let me explain...
First, Tommy was born and our world was rocked. For the first 3 months, I'd say I was going on no sleep, trying to give Lucy and the newborn 100% all the time, breastfeeding, constantly changing diapers, etc.
Then month four hit...Tommy still wasn't sleeping great, but well enough that I was getting 5 hours in a row and I could mamage the day without 12 cups of coffee. Breastfeeding is going well, we got in a groove. The summer was fun, I got successful outings down to a science.
Then Tommy starts sitting up. Life is good! He is playing on the floor, doesn't really bother Lucy's toys, all is happy and well. He is sleeping decent, we are getting our evenings back, etc.
O.k. here we sit at Tommy almost 9 months old. Tommy has, in just 10 days, gone from a little bit of crawling - to now CRAWLING- FAST! PULLING UP ON EVERYTHING, TAKING BABY STEPS AROUND THE OTTOMAN (YOU READ IT RIGHT), BABBLING NEW SOUNDS, TAKING LUCY'S TOYS, AND VICE VERSA. Let's just say, people, it's a whole new world around here. I knew this new world was coming...I realized it at the time that I had it good. Lucy in booster seat, Tommy on floor with safe toys...I can get a shower in. I can switch out laundry. I can send an email. Ahhh...no longer.
o.k. NEXT UP - Lucy is sooo ready to be potty trained it is ridiculous. When, finally last week, she cried because she had to wear a diaper and wanted underwear, and had peed in the potty upon command 5 times, I took a good, hard look at my lazy self and said - SUCK IT UP! It is time!!!
We officially began last night. We went right to princess underwear and from 5-8 p.m., she used the potty 3 out of 4 times. The one time she missed, she was on her way to the potty (didn't tell us) and only made it to the bathroom rug (poor thing). It's going well, I have to admit. BUT CAN I JUST SAY - it's as annoying and all- consuming as I imagined. Hate it. Despise it. Wish I could snap my fingers and have it over. Every 30 minutes, "Do you want to try?" Sitting there with her, talking about it, having to pack clothes, pull-ups, show her where the bathroom is, always think about it, etc. Sooo annoying...do I have the energy to pull up from my bootstraps and do this? I guess I have to.
We had crazy playgroup this morning (and it was crrraazzzyyyy)...and my friend with twin boys (now fully potty trained) was giving me a pep talk I definately needed. She's all about the tough love and sometimes that's what I need from another mother I respect. She was all, "Come on! You can do this. Don't get lazy now! She's ready!" She is right. Here we go...wish me luck. Every time I get a handle on a "phase" with these two, a new challenge begins. So today, it's "CRAZY STAND UP CONSTANTLY BOY" AND "HEY, DO YOU WANT TO TRY GOING POTTY? GIRL."
One more chapter. We will do this - we always do. And I will be oh so much wiser.

2 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooo Hooo! I'm right behind you... JZ is getting closer and closer to crawling. But I don't have a potty trainer too!! You can do it... you know you can and when you do it won't be long and you'll have advice to give to people like me who'll need it. Good Luck! At least she wants to be potty trained. She could be fighting it every step of the way!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Goodnight Mrs. Kalabash said...

You're a great Mom....and I'm not just saying that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger