Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Monday, October 02, 2006

And Normalcy Commences....

I didn't want to mention last week that Matt went on his annual fishing trip. You know, with the whopping 5 people who read this blog and all, I didn't want the creeps to come out at night, and I am paranoid. Anyways, he was gone for 5 nights and 6 days. Not that I was counting or anything. We made it through the week just fine. It was a fun week with visits to friends and sister visiting. My neighbors had us over for dinner one night. Everyone was just lovely and supportive!
O.k. so it wasn't so perfect. Lucy tested me about 25 times because I am the constant in her life...I get all the yuck behavior..the testing...the "Daddy does it this way at night, Mommy!" Ugh...lots of deep breathing techniques on my part. Like on day 5 of single parenthood when she wouldn't go upstairs for nap ONCE AGAIN and she woke her brother up who I finally got to sleep ONCE AGAIN.
But we did a lot of bonding as well. I have to admit I looked at my watch ONLY 5 times in the hour before Matt was to arrive home. And when I realized he could change Tommy's diaper for me while I run the bath water without children crying or having a meltdown, or making Elmo babysit them while I run upstairs for the fifteenth time...I was oh. so. joyful!!! For some reason, when Matt goes on a trip, I feel this overwhelming responsibility on my shoulders and in my gut. I don't know why. He works every day and I am with these kids and I don't feel weirded out or anxious at all. But when I know he is a 7 hour drive away, suddenly I kind of freak out in my head because I am the ONLY ONE to care for these children 24 hours/day for whatever number of days. I don't sleep real good, for fear I won't hear Tommy at night. I let my mind run with the 100's of things I need to do the next day. I don't know what it is but I guess I just can't completely relax. It's exhausting, really. I am VERY happy he is back.
Lucy is happy too. When Matt walked in last night, she ran to him with the biggest smile on earth and wrapped her body around him like a koala bear, squeezing with all her might. And as he was outside putting his boat in the garage, etc. Lucy was giving me a play by play of what was going on, running from the front window to the back room yelling, "Daddy's here! Daddy's home! He's coming in! Daddy!" It was too much. When Tommy saw him, he broke out into a huge grin and started laughing within 3 seconds of Matt getting in his face. He was so happy too.
In addition to all this activity, my parents have been in Italy on a two week vacation. They arrive home tonight. It has been two weeks of yelling at all airplanes, "Bye Bye Meema and Boppa!" (This is what my mom told her to do while she was gone and Lucy took her instructions VERY seriously). Funny thing about a 28 month old - my mom is #3 in her life and yet, unless mentioned, Lucy really didn't ask too much about her while she was away. I guess that reinforces the idea that toddlers have no concept of time. But MAN will she be ready to see them!!!
Ahh...everyone is home and all is right with the world. And now I can go back to my binge drinking and stop being so damn responsible! Bloody Mary at 7:07 a.m. anyone? Wahhooiieee!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger