Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A Shout Out to the Mothers

I have always been a fairly athletic person (minue the college years). I have tested my body in different ways throughout my life via sports, have gained and lost a large amount of weight, etc. I have loathed about not being happy with my body countless times, and really been happy with how it has looked a few times as well. However, I have never had the respect for my body as I do now and what it has done for me in the last 28 months. Not only myself, but various friends I have who have become mothers. Some of my friends casually mention they have 3 kids. Do you KNOW what your body has to go through to carry 3 kids? Another girlfriend is running a marathon next summer. She has two small children and is planning to have her third sometime fairly soon. I see moms on the beach this summer with "war scars" - the stretch marks and loose belly skin. I see moms in my neighborhood daily, running the 4.5 mile loop around the lake like it is nothing. I have friends who have breastfeed their babies back to back between pregnancies for 3+ years. As I was running into my 3rd mile on a morning last week, pushing 45 lbs. in 85 degrees, I have to admit I felt proud of myself. Also, shocked - because if you had told me 6 months ago I would be doing that, I wouldn't have believed you. In 28 months, I have grown two babies, delivered them, gained and lost 40 pounds twice, and breastfed kids for over 12 months, with more to go. A woman's body is truly amazing. And what mother's do physically to create these kids and keep pushing forward after, is also amazing. Really, being a mom is kind of like joining a secret club that unless you've experienced it, it's hard to truly get it all. But once you do it, I think you must gain respect for all mothers and what they put their bodies through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger