Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Monday, July 17, 2006

Is That a Gun Pointed at Your Head or Are you Just Happy To See Me?

Do I look older? More run down or haggered? Perhaps a bit disheveled? In the past two weeks, we have clocked in no less than 13.5 hours in the car together as a family of four. I don't know why I didn't think about it sooner. Perhaps some wishful thinking on my part? Maybe hoping for a miracle? Or pretending it's 1999 again = and nothing has changed? Maybe trying to say to the Summer - "Hey Summer! We are going to have fun, damnit! We shall drive and drive to do fun things with a 3.5 month old and a 2 year old and they will love it! We shall sleep many hours and sing songs and watch Elmo and eat snacks and all will be well for 13.5 hours!"
P.S. IT IS COMPLETELY UNRESONABLE TO ASK A TODDLER TO HANDLE THIS! A 2 year old will not sit, strapped into a car seat for more than 30 minutes at a time and stay calm. Especially my fiesty, active, verbal, excitable toddler. Needless to say, we are all set on long trips for a while. I am taking action for our own sanity. To the point where I am swallowing my pride and calling a few friends and family we have plans with the rest of the summer. We are asking them to compromise on trips and perhaps chose meeting locations less than 1.5 hours away. I must do it...for this families sanity...and to prevent entering myself in a looney bin. Oh - and to prevent me from puking in the car from the 150th turnaround I have to make from the front seat. I have to say this isn't the popular choice and some people may be disappointed - but I am getting over that. Matt and I have decided we have to stand up for our family and make a choice that summer weekends do not equal miserable parents. I am all for good times, but not at the parent's expense. I have had a few compliments doled out my way over the past few days relating to my "calm demeanor" and "amazing patience" with the kiddos. I do pride myself in that - I RARELY, if ever, lose it with them. I save all that for my husband (ha ha..he is so smiling and nodding). However, all bets were off by the end of Saturday's trip. As Lucy woke Tommy up for the 3rd time by yelling that she wanted to hold my purse for the 40th time and needed my help using both hands because it's "KINDA HARD MOM!" I could slowly feel my brain melting. :) So there you have it..good times on the road. Sometimes I have to tell myself that it is O.K. to not try and be "super parent" and do EVERYTHING all the time. I think I put a lot of unnecessary pressure on myself. Sometimes, on a 95 degree day, you CAN watch 4 episodes of Elmo and hang out in air conditioning and play hide and seek and NOT get in a car. That way, no one's brain will melt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger