Your Mom...

Somethin' for the Kiddies....

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

2006 vs. 1996

Over the past couple of days, I have connected with a few high school, college and old work friends for some laughs over the phone and to see how their summers are going. I pride myself in the fact that I have maintained these friendships and that, despite moving to different states, different life stages, etc., I have managed to keep these important friendships in my life. I get sad when I see others let their lives get "so busy" that they let friendships run their course and sputter out after time, due to lack of maintenance. I see it happen all the time and I think to myself, "no matter how busy my life gets, I will always have time to call a friend." These calls spurred a discussion with Matt about "simpler times." Times like high school and college, where everyone was in the same life stage, doing the same thing at the same time with the same weekend plans, etc. It's so much harder now with families, schedules, work, kids, etc. Then I started thinking about one of the best years of my life - 1996. Why was it so swell, you ask? Well, it was my senior year of college and most of my tougher classes were completed my Junior year. Senior year was really comprised of sorority activities, living with 12 of my great friends, and "going out" 5 times a week. Of course, I was 65 pounds MORE than I am today. ha! AND, I was in a relationship that SHOULD have only been a friendship but out of sheer laziness on my part, I let it last waaay too long. BUT, other than those two slight details, (and no, I do not have photos) it was a great time in my life. Fast forward 10 years and here we sit. I like to call this...a daily schedule:

1996 Schedule of Events:
10 a.m. Wake up and watch Jenny Jones.
12 p.m. Meet friends at the University Center for a grilled cheese and talk about nothing.
1-3 p.m. Go to a class or something.
4 p.m. Watch Oprah at the sorority house.
6 p.m. Eat dinner with "boyfriend" that should have been "only friend."
9 p.m. Go to bar for $1 pitchers of sweet Bush Light.
2 a.m. Bedtime.

2006 Schedule of Events:
6:30 a.m. Wake up with baby, breastfeed, change diaper, eat oatmeal to stay regular (thanks a lot).
7:30 a.m. Give toddler milk, change diaper, read book, set up breakfast.
8 a.m. Clean, run up and down stairs doing things while toddler is strapped down in chair and baby is taking nap.
9:30 a.m. Run both children in jogging stroller 2.5 miles, if it isn't 90 degrees out.
10:30 a.m. Entertain children doing some fun activity.
12:30 p.m. Breastfeed, breastfeed, lunch, lunch....
1 p.m. Toddler to bed, flail with baby to complete "to do" list. Eat lunch. Shower. Call people.
4 p.m. Milk, dinner, playing, etc.
8 p.m. Put toddler to bed. Play with baby. Breastfeed..breastfeed.
9:30 p.m. Put baby to bed and crawl into bed as body shuts down. Pray to the sweet lord he sleeps for a loooonnnggg time.

I would seriously choose 2006's schedule. It keeps you on your toes. And I mean, WHO DRINKS BUSH LIGHT?! Creepy... :)

2 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger loveball said...

you're crazy Cavanaugh. Even though I'm one of those friends who is lame at keeping in touch, you KNOW I miss you and want to hang with you and the babes real soon. I'm now addicted to your blog and the others that you have links to. Mommy blogs rule, yo.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I KNOW you are dude..I know. I am glad you enjoy da blogs. They are dorky yet intriguing all at the same time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Photo
Name:

I'm a 39 year old stay-at-home mom. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I have lived in the big city and in the mountains, but am happy to be back in the Midwest, raising the fam. I enjoy laughing, wine, bad karaoke, US Weekly, running, cemetaries, cheese sticks and short hair-dos. In my previous life, I was class-clown and a wanna-be comedian. In my professional life, I'm a journalism major with 10 years of marketing and PR experience. I dream of being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and working at Disney World as Snow White.

Powered by Blogger